Tamar Taliashvili graduated from Tbilisi State Pedagogical Institute of A. Pushkin in 1975 with a major in Russian-Georgian Philology. In1978 Tamar completed her PhD studies in the History of Georgian Literature. In 1985 she defended her PhD thesis “Problematics and Poetics in Early Writings of Mikheil Javakhishvili”. In 1986-1992 Taliashvili served as an Academic Councelor at the Sulkhan –Saba Orbeliani Tbilisi State University. In 2002 she was elected by the Scientific Council as a Dean of the Faculty of Philology and in 2005 was appointed as a Head of Department of Georgian Language and Literature.
Since 2006 she has been holding an academic position of a Professor of the Faculty of Art and Scienec at Ilia State University .in 2006 she was elected as a member of the University Representational Council and in 2007-2011 she served as a Dean of the Faculty of Educaiton. Since 2012 Tamar has been heading the Center of Teachers’ Professional Development Center at Ilia State University. Tamar is an author of more tha 35 scientific articles and papers. At various times she served as a member of State Committee for approving Teachers’ Professional Standards as well as managed U.S. Department of State funded Civic Education through English Language Teaching project in cooperation with PH International. Tamar Taliashvili is a participant of the US Congress funded Open World Leadership Program “Teachers’ Professional Development and Best Practices in the US”. She is also member and contributor to the Erazmus Mundus project “ Curriculum Reform for Promoting Civic Education and Democratic Principls in Israle and in Georgia”.
Scientific interests / research interests
Teachers’ Professional Development, Reading Strategies, Civic Education and Literacy, Value Education
An extensive list of publications
- “What is the need of Scaffolding in Academic Literacy?”, 4th International Conference “Intercultural Dialogues”, proceedings pp 547 -552; Telavi, 2017
- “Critical Thinking and Values of Education”, Scientific Conference “Values and Education”, proceeding p 13, 2017
- “Strategies of Comprehending Context”, Journal “Semiotics” #7, pp 23-28, 2014
- “Why Should We Teach Critical Thinking?”, Teachers’ Professional Development Center, Journal “Teacher” #4, 2013
- “On the Negative Attitude towards Left-Handedness of Pupils; Nino Sharvashidze, Miles Bryant, Advisor – Tamar Taliashvili. ERIC, ED505089, 2009.
- “Adult Education in Practice: Teacher Training and Its Potential for Changing School Teachers Through Adult Learning”, Problems of Education in the 21st Century (ISSN1, 2011)
- “Forms of Pedagogical Relations and Students’ Communication Culture”, International Conference “Education, Practice and Research”, proceedings, Telavi, 2016.
- “Technologies of Developing Critical Thinking”, International Conference “Humanitarian Studies in Informational Society” , proceedings, Batumi, October 2015
- “Methods and Challenges of Integrated Teaching at the Lesson of Georgian Language and Literature”, 3RD International Conference “Intercultural Dialogues”, proceedings, 2015.
- “Construction of Metaphors during Working on Texts”, Journal “Semiotics”, #14, pp 80-87, 2014
- “Reading and Writing Strategies for Development of Critical Thinking: Stages and Methods”, Journal “Teacher”, #6, 2013
- “Why Should We Teach Critical Thinking?” Journal “Teacher” #6, 2013
- “Philological Analysis of Text and Interpretation at a School”, 2nd International Conference “Intercultural Dialogues”, Telavi, proceeding, pp 300-314.
- “Religion and Civic Education”, Ilia State University, 2011
- “History of Messages” Journal “Teacher”, #1, p 54-56
- “Dialogue Methods of Teaching Literature”, International Conference “Intercultural Dialogues”, proceedings, pp 200-225, Telavi, 2011
- “Strategies of Understanding Texts”, Journal “Semiotics”, #7. Pp 23-28, 2010
- “Methods of Reading”, Journal “Mermisi”, pp 10-12, 2006
- “Concept of Teaching Georgian as a Second Language in Non Georgian Secondary Schools”, Journal “Mermisi” published in the framework of the project “Language Courses for Public Servants” funded by the UNHCR and Center for Civic Integration and Interethnic Relations Center, 2005.
- “Teaching Language and Socio-Cultural Aspects”, Journal “Mermisi”, II pp8-10, 2005
- “Developing Verbal Skills of Non Georgian Students during Teaching Georgian Language”, Journal “Mermisi” V, 2005
- “Concept and Program of Teaching Georgian as a Second Language”, 2005
- “Actualization of Postmodern Postulates in Vazha-Pshavela’s Poems: Aluda Qetelauri, Bakhtrioni, Stumar-Maspindzeli and in Khevisberi Gocha by Aleksandre Kazbegi”, Classical and Modern Georgian Literature, Institute of Literature, 2006
- “Psychology of a Mob in Early Writings of Mikheil Javakhishvili”, Scientific proceedings, Tbilisi, 2004
- “Universal Concept of Love in Philosophical Stories of V. Barnov”, Journal “Promete”, Sulkhan-Saba Orbeliani State University, 2003
- “Historical Discourse in V. Barnov’s Romance “Collapse of Armaz”, Scientific proceedings of Tbilisi I. Chavchavadze Institute of Language and Culture, VI, pp 24-2
International Projects/National Programs:
- ERAZMUS + “Curriculum Reform for Promoting Civic Education and Democratic Principles in Israel and in Georgia” CURE, 2016-2019
- Project – “Teachers’ Professional Skills Development in schools in West Georgia (Project Director), 2016
- Project – “Civic Education through English Language Teaching”, US Embassy funded in partnership with PH International, Project Coordinator, 2014-2016
- Project- G-PRIED funded by USAID, collaborated as a partner organization representative, 2012-2018
- Project – “Europe –Tuning”, Education Group Member, 2010-2012
- Project “Core” in the framework of National Curriculum, Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia, Member of the Coordination Council, 2010
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Netherlands, MATRA Project “Protection of Children against Violence/Maltreatment in Georgia, Invited Expert, 2010
- Tuning Educational Structures in Europe/Tuning Georgia, Education Group Member, 2008-2010
- Sociological Research of Schools, Expert, Deer Leap Project, MOES, 2008-2009
- Georgian Language Courses for Public Servants, Expert, OSCE High Commissioner on National Minorities/Center of Civic Integration and Interethnic Relations, 2005-2006.