graduated from Tbilisi State University (Biology, zoology) (1982). PhD in Ecology from Research Inst. of Ecology, Ural Sci. Center at Sverdlovsk (pres. Ekaterinsburg), Russia, 1987. Research – interspecific competition of amphibians. Work experience – Tbilisi State University, Vietnam Tropical Center (1990), Bangor University, UK (1996-1997, post-doctoral fellow), Zoological Research Institute and Museum Al. Koenig, Bonn, Germany (1998; 1999-2003; post-doctoral fellow, researcher).Studies mostly in ecology, biogeography, population genetics and evolution of amphibians and reptiles. Over 100 published research papers. At Ilia State since 2006, employed as a dean of the school of Life Sciences, director of the Institute of Ecology, and dean of the School of Science and Engineering.
Scientific interests / research interests
- Evolutionary biology
- Population ecology and genetics
- Ecological modeling
- Human population genetics
- Amphibians and reptiles were the main research object for many years, however, in recent years the projects are on different organisms, including conifer plants, lizards, snails, domestic animals, and humans.
- Gabelaia, M., Tarkhnishvili, D.,Murtskhvaladze, M. 2015.Phylogeography and morphological variation in a narrowly distributed Caucasian rock lizard, Darevskia mixta.Amphibia-Reptilia 36: 45-54
- Tarkhnishvili, D., Gavashelishvili, A., Murtskhvaladze, M., Gabelaia, M., Tevzadze, G. 2014.Human Paternal Lineages, Languages and Environment in the Caucasus.Human Biology 86: 113-130
- Kopaliani N., Shakarashvili M., Gurielidze Z., Qurkhuli T. &Tarkhnishvili, D. 2014.Gene flow between wolf and shepherd dog populations in Georgia (Caucasus).Journal of Heredity doi:10.1093/jhered/esu014
- Tarkhnishvili, D. 2014. Historical Biogeography of the Caucasus.Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge (NY)
- Tarkhnishvili, D. 2014.Rana macrocnemis (Boulenger, 1885)–KleinasiatischerBraunfrosch. Pp. 263-293 In: Grossenbacher, K. (ed.), Handbuch der Reptilien und AmphibienEuropas, V. 5. AULA-verlag, Wiebelsheim.
- Tarkhnishvili D., Murtskhvaladze M., Gavashelishvili A. 2013. Speciation in Caucasian lizards: climatic dissimilarity of the habitats is more important than isolation time. Biological Journal of the LinneanSociety 109 (4): 876-892.
- Mumladze L., Tarkhnishvili D., Murtskhvaladze M. 2013.Systematics and evolutionary history of large endemic snails from the Caucasus (Helix buchii, H. goderdziana).American Malacological Bulletin 31 (2): 225-234.
- Murtskhvaladze M, Gurielidze Z, Kopaliani N, Tarkhnishvili D. 2012. Gene introgression between Gazella subguturrosa and G. marica: limitations of maternal inheritance analysis for species identification with conservation purposes. ActaTheriologica 57 (4): 383-386.
- Tarkhnishvili, D. 2012. Evolutionary History, Habitats, Diversification, and Speciation in Caucasian Rock Lizards. Pp. 79-120 In: Advances in Zoology Research, Volume 2 (ed. Jenkins OP), Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge (NY)
- Tarkhnishvili, D, Gavashelishvili, A., Mumladze, L. 2012. Palaeoclimatic models help to understand current distribution of Caucasian forest species. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 105, 231-248.
- Pokryszko, BA, Cameron RAD, Mumladze L,Tarkhnsihvili D. 2011. Forest snail faunas from Georgian Transcaucasia: patterns of diversity in a Pleistocene refugium. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 102, 239-250
- Tarkhnishvili D, Gavashelishvili A, Avaliani A, Murtskhvaladze M, Mumladze L. 2010.Unisexual rock lizard might be outcompeting its bisexual progenitors in the Caucasus. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 101, 447-460
- Murtskhvaladze M, Gavashelishvili A, Tarkhnishvili D. 2010.Geographic and genetic boundaries of brown bear (Ursus arctos) population in the Caucasus. Molecular Ecology, 19, 1829-1841
An extensive list of publications: