School of Natural Sciences and Engineerings. Professor of Neurobiology, PhD of Science
Full Professor at the Institute of Chemical Biology
In 1972 she finished Tbilisi State University, Faculty of Biology, Specialty “Cytology and Histology”; in 1975 – TbilisiI. Chavchavadze State Institute of Foreign Languages, Specialty “French Language”; in 1878 – aspirant courses in the Institute of Brain, USSR Medical Academy of Science, Specialty “Neuroanatomy. Brain Ultrastructure” (Moscow). In 1980 she became candidate of Biological Science (Topic of dissertation “Synapsoarchitecture of projective, intrahemispheric and interhemispheric connections in projective and associative areas of brain” and in 1996 she got the degree Doctor of Biological Science (Topic of dissertation: “The effect of different forms of hypokinesia on limbic, extrapyramidal and neocortical regions of rat brain”). Worked at Beritashvili Institute of Physiology. Her current positions are full professor at Ilia State University and head of lab at Beritashvili center of Experimental Biomedicine. She had trainings and performed research in Prague University, Institute of Brain, Bulgarian Academy of Science, Institute of Molecular Biology of Kuopio University, Iowa State University, USA. The main directions of the research are the structure and ultrastructure of brain in norm and under different pathological conditions (forms of experimental epilepsy, inhalant chronic misuse, different forms of stress and hypokinesia, social isolation) and neuronal secretion. She is author of about 100 scientific publications, invited professor in several universities of Georgia.
• Mzia G. Zhvania, Nadezhda J. Japaridze, Mariam G. Qsovreli, Vera G. Okuneva, Arkadi G. Surmava, Tamar G. Lordkipanidze. Electron Microscopic Morphometry of Isolated Rat Brain Porosome Complex. Neuroscience Research, 2015 (Accepted for Publication).
• Mzia G. Zhvania, Tamar Z. Bikashvili, Nadezhda J. Japaridze, Ilia I. Lazrishvili, Mariam Ksovreli. White noise and neuronal porosome complex: transmission electron microscopic study. DISCOVERIES 2014, Jul-Sep, 2(3): e25. DOI: 10.15190/d.2014.17.
• Mzia G. Zhvania, Nadezhda J. Japaridze, Mariam G, Qsovreli, Vera G. Okuneva, Arkadi G. Surmava, Tamar G. Lordkipanidze. The Neuronal Porosome Complex in Mammalian Brain: A Study Using Electron Microscopy. Chapter: NanoCellBiology: Multimodal Imaging in Biology and Medicine. Editors: Jena B.P., Taatjes D.J. Pan Stanford Publishing Pte. Ltd. (Cover: Neuronal Porosome Complex) (2013 September), 45-55.
• Kotaria N, Kiladze M, Zhvania MG, Japaridze NJ, Bikashvili T, Solomonia RO, Zhvania M, Bolkvadze T. The protective effect of Myo-inositol on hippocampal cell loss and structural alterations in neurons and synapses triggered by kainic acid-induced status epilepticus, Cellular & Molecular Neurobiol. 2013, 33, 5, 659-671.
• Lordkipanidze T, Bikashvili T, Japaridze N, Zhvania M. The Effect of kainic acid on hippocampal dendritic spine motility at the early and late stages of development, Micron (2013), 49, 28-32.
• Japaridze NJ, Okuneva VG, Qsovreli MG, Surmava AG, Lordkipanidze TG, Kiladze MT, Zhvania MG. Hypokinetic stress and neuronal porosome complex in the rat brain: the electron microscopic study. Micron, 2012, 43, 9, 948-954.
• Zhvania MG, Chilachava LR, Japaridze NJ, Gelazonia LK, Lordkipanidze TG. Immediate and persisting effect of toluene chronic exposure on hippocampal cell loss in adolescent and adult rats. Brain Res. Bull. 2012, 87, 2, 187-192.
• Cho WJ, Lee JS, Zhang L, Ren G, Shin L, Manke CW, Potoff J, Kotaria N, Zhvania MG, Jena BP. Membrane-directed molecular assembly of the neuronal SNARE complex. J. Cell Mol Med. 2011,15, 1 13-17.
• Cho WJ, Jeremic A, Rognlien KT, Zhvania MG, Lazrishvili I, Tamar B, Jena BP.Structure, isolation, composition and reconstitution of the neuronal fusion pore. Cell Biol Int 2004, 28, 10, 699-708.
Leader and Leadership. 2009, Tbilisi, Georgia (Financed by USAID)
Articles in magazines
Nanomedicine. Review 2014. Actual Topics on Woman Health (Georgian Medical Women’s Association), 5, 80-132.